January 8, 2009
A while ago, I watched the movie — “Kung Fu Panda“. I just wanted to give everyone an advice here: if you weren’t planning on seeing this movie, you should think about reconsidering. It was a light, visually interesting and pretty entertaining.
I have a tendency of learning from movies. Each week, I try to watch a movie (both for entertainment and learning purposes). Being a big fan of the movies, I have more than 150 Original Movie DVD’s (I don’t believe in Piracy).
Movies provide us with a great diversion from our everyday life. They provide us with questions and sometimes answers to the daily facts of life.
Here are a few memorable/motivational movie quotes:
1. Kung Fu Panda “The Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.”
2. Finding Neverland “Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he’s *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That’s like saying, “He can’t climb that mountain, he’s just a man”, or “That’s not a diamond, it’s just a rock.” Just.”
3. Shawshank Redemption “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”
4. The Godfather: Part I “Never tell anyone outside the family what you’re thinking again!”
5. The Godfather: Part I “Fredo, you’re my older brother, and I love you. But don’t ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.”
6. The Godfather: Part I “Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man. ”
7. The Godfather: Part I “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
8. The Godfather: Part II “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”
9. The Godfather: Part III “Just when I thought I was out… they pull me back in.”
10. Blow “Life passes most people by while they’re making grand plans for it.”
11. Edward Scissorhands “Sweetheart, you can’t buy the necessities of life with cookies.”
12. The Aviator Mother says “We don’t care about money here.” Howard Hughes replies, “Well, that’s because you have it.”
13. Jerry Maguire “The key to this business is personal relationships.”
14. Jerry Maguire “If this [points to heart] is empty, this [points to head] doesn’t matter.”
15. Jerry Maguire “I hated myself… no, I hated my place in the world.”
16. Jerry Maguire “So this is the world, and there are almost six billion people on it. When I was a kid, there were three. It’s hard to keep up.”
17. Jerry Maguire “I love the mornings! I clap my hands every morning and say, ‘This is gonna be a great day!”
18. Pulp Fiction “Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it’s necessary to yak about anything in order to be comfortable?”
19. Wall Street “Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others.”
20. Wall Street “Sun-tzu: If your enemy is superior, evade him. If angry, irritate him. If equally matched, fight, and if not split and reevaluate.”
21. Wall Street “Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.”
22. Wall Street “The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.”
23. Wall Street “What’s worth doing is worth doing for money.”
24. Wall Street “I don’t throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought.”
25. Wall Street “The most valuable commodity I know of is information.”
26. Wall Street “It’s not always the most popular person who gets the job done.”
27. Wall Street “You know what my dream is? It’s to one day be on the other end of that phone.”
28. No Reservations “That restaurant (work) is all I have. It’s what I am.” Nick disagrees and replies, “It’s only a small part of you”.
29. Office Space “Oh, and remember: next Friday… is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.”
30. Boiler Room “Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn’t have any. You become an employee of this firm, you will make your first million within three years. I’m gonna repeat that – you will make a million dollars.”
As a person who likes to learn from life, I choose to learn from movies and my surroundings. So, watch movies, entertain yourself and learn from them.
February 11, 2009 Here is a synopsys of Elizabeth Gilbert’s narration of “Creative Genius” in her 20 minutes speech @ ted.com...