January 1, 2011
Today is the first day of an exciting new year (2011). Yesterday I wrote about how 2010 was for me and my resolutions and goals for 2011. One of my goals was to write about my day-to-day lessons learned and here it is for today. (Read my post from yesterday)
Today, I tried something different. I prepared both my meals for the day. This might not sound like a great achievement, but believe me it is for me. I used to love cooking, but I have not cooked in the last 3 years. Since I got married, my wife’s been really good about keeping me out of kitchen. (Mainly because I take almost twice the time and use up 3 times the vessels while cooking).
Meal 1: Spinach Curry
Meal 2: Curd Rice (South-Indian Style)
My first encounter with cooking was almost 7 years ago when my mother was training me how to cook just before my visit to USA for my studies (Temple University – Masters in Information Systems). There were 2 things she taught me:
1. Salt is a very important ingredient in food. Use it wisely.
2. You don’t need all ingredients to make something edible and tasty.
So today after 3 years of being away from cooking, I realized:
1. My Spinach Curry was missing some ingredients, but I used other alternatives and prepared the meal.
2. I don’t like food when it has a lot of salt (salty food). Sometimes, I choose to prepare food with less salt in the fear of ruining the food. (Others that need more salt can always choose to add more if they need to).
These two items make me realize a few things about my fresh start for the year 2011:
1. I am already ready to try new things (cooking in this instance)
2. I am not afraid to find out a way to solve my problem (trying alternative ingredients in this case)
3. I am still careful about things that can make or break something (careful in adding more salt here)
With this I conclude, I am still a good cook (or may be it’s beginners luck ). However, for 2011, I see myself taking a couple of risks and trying out new things to find a resolution.
January 5, 2011 Every year, I try to take the last week off from. Here are my 5 reasons to...