Domain name is the online extension of your brand identity and your address in the virtual world. It is as important as the various blocks in brand building, like your company name and logo, which are unique to your organization.
Choosing a domain name
Your domain name directs users to your address on the internet. The name you keep, points users to an IP address, which is your actual address in the virtual environment. Since an IP address is numerical, it is neither unique nor relevant and hence cannot be made memorable for users. Thus, almost all websites chose a conspicuous and relevant domain name and point it to their IP address. You have to ensure that your domain name is:
- Preferably short
- Not prone to common typing errors
- Preferably without special characters like hyphen
- Search Engine friendly (SEO compliant)
It may not always be possible to choose a domain name that meets all these requirements but it is imperative that you choose a name that represents your brand in one way or another.
- Choosing the extension
Although .com is the most common extension, due to the increasing popularity of the internet, it is not always possible to obtain a .com extension for your website. If it is important for you to keep a particular domain name, like your company name, which is not available with a .com extension, it is advisable to use another extension like .net or .co instead of changing the domain name.
- Checking if your desired domain name is available and the alternatives
Doing an internet wide search or Google search to check the availability of your desired name is guaranteed to be a frustrating experience, unless you have picked a very unique name. Instead use an internet registration service like WHOIS.com or GoDaddy.com to check availability and close alternates.
- SEO compliant domain names
Internet is increasingly becoming crowded and hence it is important that you create visibility of your brand. There are many SEO techniques that can enhance your website’s visibility on search engines, where most users look for information. To begin with, you can make your domain name SEO compliant by:
- Making it keyword-rich.
- Avoiding word separators like hyphens that can dilute your credibility and can act as a spam indicator.
- Avoiding uncommon top-level domains such as .info, .cc, .ws, and .name which can be considered spam.
- Reducing the length to 15 characters, if possible.
I can help you chose a perfect domain name for your online presence, which will further reinforce your brand’s popularity.
- domain name registration
- free web domain registration
- how do you get a free domain name
- website domain names available
- domain name registration and web hosting services
- domaine name registration
- domain name registration only
- website domain names search
- registering domain names for free
- domain name registration services
- domain name registration fee
- cheap domains registration
- domain host
- domain names registration free
- domain registration and web hosting
- domain name register
- cheap domains name
- register domain names for free
- website domain and hosting
- cost of domain registration
- search for domain name availability
- domain name registrations
- registering domains
- free domain web hosting